Objectives of Active Network Management
The key objectives that Shetland’s Active Network Management trials should achieve are:
- Stabilise Shetland’s energy system by managing demand, generation and storage capabilities and monitoring system diagnostics
- Make energy supply low carbon by allowing the maximum possible amount of renewable generation to be connected thus reducing the amount of fossil fuel consumption
- Allow local individuals and companies to benefit from the opportunities of establishing renewable generation facilities by accommodating the connection of new small generators on the network
- Reduce the need to build new power plants and reinforce networks by reducing the difference between minimum and maximum daily demand
- Make the energy system more reliable by using real time feedback from network monitoring and communication links to detect system health checks
- Enable customers to participate in energy network management by installing advanced energy and water heaters.
- Use devices controlled by ANM to manage network frequency.